Pages

Thursday, November 7, 2013

THERE WILL BE BUGS!!

So last week I identified my organism (Enterococcus Faecalis) and this week I have started gathering research to support my data for my rough draft that’s due next week. I have also been looking into my next project. Last week Matt suggested doing a leaf pack trap and sent me some information to look at over the weekend. Leaf pack traps consist usually of several mesh bags that are each filled with different content like several types of leaves rocks and other plant clippings. The bags are then submerged in a pond, lake or river to see what organisms can inhabit them based off of the contents. The inhabitants depend on the time of year and they have to be left for a minimum of two weeks to see any success.
(Matt gave me a few books and charts so i can familiarize. if you click on the photo you can see it better!)

 I then will retrieve them and identify the different organisms, however, since there is such a large variety of organisms to identify the first round might be a tedious process. With that in mind Matt and I decided I will do a trial run so I can familiarize myself with the process. Doing this will also allow me to make adjustments to my protocol so it will go smoother the second time. The plan is to hopefully pick a drop site this week so I can retrieve my traps when we get back from thanksgiving break.  

In the meantime this weekend I’m planning on coming up with a protocol to propose to Matt on Monday so we can get this show on the road. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment