Pages

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Alrighty then!




Week three down! This week was filled with minimal human interaction, study guides and endless cups of coffee, all I have to say is… I made it out ALIVE! As for my gram stain… well let’s just say the first attempt didn't go so well.


 I was unable to determine if it was positive or negative but after the second try I determined that it was gram positive. Monday I determined the cell morphology and performed a catalase test where I concluded that my unknown (#9) as Entercoccus Faecalis. This inhabits the gastrointestinal tracts of humans and other mammals. According to the American Society for Microbiology, E. Faecalis is commonly the culprit for urinary tract infections as well as endocarditis, bacteremia and wound infections. ASM also indicates that E. Faecalis can be tricky to treat because of its frequent resistance to several antibiotics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment