Pages

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Here we go…



So I’m not sure why I was so nervous about my interview last Friday because it turned to be much more laid back than I had expected. Wednesday was my first day, Josh helped me set up a username to clock in each time and I watched some videos regarding safety and proper lab behavior. Today I learned how to do an isolation streak. My first try was a total bust but after Josh’s demonstration I was able to do it successfully. An isolation streak is used to isolate a pure strain from a single species of microorganism, often times bacteria. In order to perform the procedure I had to use a sterile inoculation loop that is then dipped in the inoculum and spread across a petri dish. After that the specimen was placed in the incubator at 37 degrees Celsius to sit overnight. Friday (tomorrow) I’m going to come in early to do a gram stain and identify my specimen.



No comments:

Post a Comment