Pages

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

What a busy Bee!

Last Friday (1/31/14) I went into lab and ran my extraction (Bee DNA) to make sure I actually got DNA. It was ran through electrophoresis gel and sure enough there was a bright yellow band (yaay!!). Monday I went into lab to run a Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR), used to amplify a specific DNA sequence.

The DNA is apparent, however it did not migrate down the gel, which could be due to a number of reasons. To get a start the process of elimination, we decided to run the electrophoresis gel through a machine were we can control the voltage. In the meantime, I am planning on setting my leaf pack traps on Friday. I'm anticipating setting them at two different locations, one set will be at Encanto Park and the other at Rio Salado. PLEASE DON'T LET IT RAIN!!



Solution for PCR


As you can see there was no movement, however the bright bands indicate the presence of DNA.















The second run... I didn't have time to check it so I will  find out when I go in on Friday.













No comments:

Post a Comment